Earthcaches

I am a proud

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tex Ritter and a geocache too

Jerry McMath, our host this week

Inductee Kris Kristofferson 

Inductee Meal McCoy

Inductee Willy Nelson

Inductee Buck Owens
Texas


Famous Cowboy sketches
After speaking to a crowded room at a local church in Carthage, TX, we came across the street behind the church to visit the Tex Ritter Museum and Texas Country Music Hall of Fame. After paying the $5.00 per person fee we entered the museum. If you are like me and you like country music, then this will be a nice visit for you. The many displays ranged from inductees such as Buck Owens, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Jim Reeves, Linda Davis, Jimmy Dean (yes, he has done more than sausage), George Jones, Kris Kristofferson and many others. I was surprised to find out that Kris Kristofferson served as a helicopter pilot in the same aviation battalion I served in while in Germany. He was in and out of there before me but I found it strange that while serving there this wasn't mentioned. It seems that the unit would have been proud of this connection. The museum contains a jukebox where you can select the songs of these great artist of country music to listen to as you browse around. The gift shop was great too! Out front is a larger-than-life sized statue of Tex Ritter sitting around his campfire and playing his guitar, his faithful horse in the background. Speaking of the background, just around the back of the museum is geocache Tex Ritter/Texas Country Music Hall of Fame (GC2J62R). We tracked around to the back and were able to located this micro with ease. The top was a little hard to get back on but so be it. We had a good time in Carthage, Texas. I hope you'll get the chance to visit sometime.

1 comment:

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

I love country music and I'm a big fan of many of the folks you mention here. I'd love to visit this place.