Earthcaches

I am a proud

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Gimme Some Sorta Sign
















SPOILER ALERT: PIEDMONT NORTH CAROLINA I had been after this cache before. Two years ago I took off on a winter walk along Westchester to pick up a number of caches. That day it was below freezing, snow was on the ground and the wind chill was driving the temperature sensation down. I remembered that looking for Just Gimme Some Sorta Sign (GC21J95) was uncomfortable because I found myself searching for the cache out in traffic where everyone could see me. Now a few years later I was back to try it again, just this time in the summer sun. After reading the logs I knew that this one would surprise me. I got to the GZ, left my car in an abandoned restaurant parking lot and went out to the large shrubbery-engulfed brick sign on the corner proclaiming the name of the shopping center. I started my search around the edges of the brick wall and sign. No cache. The cache page said the cache size was not chosen so it could be anything from a nano up. To get to the sign I had to duck into the shrubbery at a crouch. While there I was out of view of the passing vehicles. I felt around in the pine needles surrounding the plants, checked the small trees and the spider webs aplenty. Still no cache. I saw a birds nest and thought this could be it. I've found fake nests before but not this time. This one was real with baby birds waiting for mother bird to come feed them. I didn't want to mess with them as they say the mother might abandon the babies if they've been touched. I continued my search on hands and knees, sweat pouring off my brow. This cache was getting the better of me once again. One log entry had said that the cacher had found it after stepping just a certain way and looking just a certain way. OK, then up off my hands and knees. Maybe it will be sighted from above looking down into the shrubbery. After a minute or two exposed to the traffic entering the shopping center I noticed a hole in the sea of shrubbery. I looked down through the break in the sea of green to see a light fixture for illuminating the sign. No surprise here. I continued on but no cache find. Then I thought I better check out that flood light to see if it was real. I was back on my hands and knees looking through the bushes at the flood light. It was a stretch but I was able to reach it from the prone position. I pulled upward and the entire assembly came out of the ground. It was fake! I pulled it to me and disassembled it. The cache was a bison tube hidden inside the base of the light bulb. What a creative cache! I signed the log, snapped a few pictures, reassembled the cache and replaced it as I had found it. Climbing out of the bushes right beside traffic was a little awkward but the satisfaction at having finally solved this mystery outweighed all that. Mark another one of the DNF list!

No comments: