Earthcaches

I am a proud

Thursday, January 1, 2009

The National Tourism Police Reloaded and Antigua, Guatemala





The adventure just keeps on keeping on. When I left Official Castillo and the National Tourism Police we agreed that I’d come by on Tuesday and help them hide a cache. The birds around the house where I’m staying really kick in the noise around 5 a.m. as the sun is starting to brighten the sky. I was awake and eager to go, even without the breakfast served in the house at 7 a.m. I headed out the door to walk across the small, colonial town of Antigua to get to the police barracks. When I got there Francisco Castillo was waiting to go. I showed him how to hide the first cache there on grounds of the barracks. He found a perfect place to do it and then marked the location. We then went back to the office to get on line and log the hide. I helped him work through that while he finished the morning routine of having his policemen fall in for formation and inspection. Afterwards Francisco, Minor (who had lived four years in the US and spoke good English) and I went for breakfast at a local restaurant. From there we headed out so the National Tourism Police of Antigua could hide their next official geocache for tourist. We were almost to the edge of the small town when Francisco got a call to come back to the barracks. When we got there seven policemen in plain clothes got in the back of the pick up. I recognized Saul, one of the agents that had accompanied me up Volcano Del Agua. We talked and I found out that they had all volunteered to go the Del Camino Baptist Church and help with some painting and construction work today. Most of the policeman attend the services there and hold services in the barracks as well. After our brief detour to get the guys settled we headed up the mountain to “La Cruz” Park overlooking the city. By now Francisco has the idea and already knows exactly where he wants to hide the cache. I realize that my job is to let him hide these two caches just like he did the first one. Not a bad deal as I might get to hunt them myself if he hides them. Soon Francisco has selected the location for the first cache near the lower end of the park. He had the coordinates and names the cache Cerro de la Cruz – Pitalla (GC1JY4J). For security the National Police normally have three teams of policemen patrolling the park. We met them all in the course of the morning. Being the man in charge of the barracks, Francisco borrowed one of the motorcycles these policemen use and off he and I went to the upper end of the park. Again Francisco knew exactly where he wanted to place the cache. Now Cerro de la Cruz – Camino a Hato/Tubos (GC1JY4P)  has been placed. With this down we headed down the mountain and back to the police station where Francisco has another meeting with his supervisor who has come to town. He assigns me to the care of one of his office clerks and we upload the geocaches to www.geocaching.com.  What a week this has been! I came here to visit our missionaries and planned to get a few caches. I don’t find any caches but become good friends with the key figure of influence on the tourism industry in Antigua and get to teach him about our sport. Not only that but I get to encourage him as he places three geocaches that are easily accessible for tourists. I said my good-byes and left satisfied because of the new friendship I have with about ten policeman in Antigua and because of the opportunity I had to further promote the sport of geocaching in Guatemala. It’s not to bad becoming something of a cachambassador.

La Policía Nacional de Turismo y Antigua, Guatemala

¡La aventura no ha terminado todavía! Cuando últimamente agregué algo al blog el oficial Castillo y la Policía de Turismo quedaron de acuerdo que yo iba a venir el martes con fines de ayudarles esconder un geocache. Porque los pájaros cerca de la casa donde yo estuve parando comienzan su ruido a partir de las 5 por la mañana cuando se levante el sol, yo ya estuve despierto y ansioso para ir, aun sin el desayuno. Camine por las calles de la ciudad turística y colonial y llegué a la delegación de la policía a las 7 por la mañana. Francisco Castillo me estaba esperando. Lo mostré como esconder un geocaches y el se lo hizo dentro del predio de la delegación. Francisco encontró un lugar perfecto y marcó el lugar. Volviendo a la oficina nosotros ingresamos los datos en el formulario de www.geocaching.com para un nuevo cache. Yo le ayudó ingresar los datos mientras que Francisco hizo inspección de los agentes de la policía. Al terminar su tarea salimos yo, Francisco y Minor, su conductor quien había vivido en los EE. UU. y aprendido Ingles bien, a desayunar en un restaurante. Desde allí salimos por el cerro para que la Policía de Turismo pudiera esconder sus primeros geocaches con fines de promover el turismo en Antigua. Casi llegamos a las orillas de la ciudad cuando llamaron por radio pidiendo que volviéramos a la delegación. Al llegar de nuevo siete agentes de la policía subieron a la camioneta. Uno era Saúl quien me acompañó escalando el volcán Del Agua hace unos días. El me los presentó a los demás agentes. De allí fimos a la iglesia bautista Del Camino donde ellos iban a ayudar los miembros de la iglesia pintando las paredes. Muchos de los agentes asisten las reuniones de la iglesia y tienen una relación estrecha con la iglesia. Cuando terminamos nuestros pequeño desvío al templo de la iglesia, fuimos subiendo hasta El Parque La Cruz. Ya Francisco entendió el proceso y con muchas ganas comenzó a decir donde debemos esconder los dos geocaches. Por esto me di cuenta que mi trabajo era de animarlo y dejar que el escondiera los caches. Mi resultó bien porque pude también buscar los caches después. Dentro de muy poco tiempo Francisco tuve puesto el primer cache en la parte inferior del parque. Francisco lo nombró Cerro de la Cruz – Pitalla (GC1JY4J). Para mejorar la seguridad la policía de turismo tienen tres equipos patrullando el parquet todo los días. Francisco, el jefe de la delegación, tomó una de los motocicletas y me llevó arriba al extremo superior del parquet donde ya sabia donde esconder su segundo cache. Pronto Cerro de la Cruz – Camino a Hato/Tubos (GC1JY4P) fue puesto. Volvimos a la delegación porque Francisco tuvo que recibir su jefe. Me dejo con uno de los agentes y nosotros pudimos ingresar los datos para dos nuevos geocaches en www.geocaching.com. ¡Que semana tan linda! Vine a visitar con nuestros misioneros en la escuela de idiomas. Además tuve la oportunidad de buscar algunos caches y promover la idea de geocaching con los lideres del turismo en Antigua. ¡Tengo nuevos amigos también! Siento como si soy un Cachembajador

 

 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading my blog! I've added you to my blogroll, too. I'll have to put Guatemala on my list of places to go geocaching.... wow.

Just John said...

What a neat adventure! You've posted some breathtaking pictures too. I'm glad that your journeys are rewarding.

Anonymous said...

Interesting stuff, but I'm interested in this tourism police. I know you had the ones with you when you went up the volcano. Is the country really bad where tourists need police? I'm just curious, I guess, what an actuall "Tourism Police officer" is etc.?