Earthcaches

I am a proud

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Geovanny's cache - remembering a friend


January 11th, 2011 will make four years since a 16 year-old friend, and former boyfriend to my daughter, passed away in a tragic and unusual accident. Soon after that happened my daughter and I placed a cache in honor of Geovanny. The cache is En Memoria de Geovanny (GC18HYC). We miss Geovanny for his kindness, his broad smile and his playfulness. This cache is hidden in the Metropoltiano Park overlooking Quito, Ecuador, where Geovanny lived. It is located off a main trail running through a large stand of eucalyptus trees. From the trail you can easily see the location of the cache but very few people leave the trail in this area. The cache has fared well and has logged over twenty visits. I frequent the cache to maintain it for my daughter since she is now away at college. One of my good memories of this cache was meeting Dryagonfly one day as I was teaching some friends about geocaching. Dryagonfly was visiting Quito from Finland and was taking a long day to hit as many caches in the park as he could. There were so many of us around the cache that Dryagonfly declared it an event. Occasionally I've been able to take new geocachers around the park and this is frequently one of the caches we find. We miss Geovanny and are glad that this cache memorializes his life in a small way.

No comments: