Earthcaches

I am a proud

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Kids and Caching in Chacas, Peru





Chacas is unique! In all of my Peru travels I've never seen this type of Italian woodwork. Of course that may be because of all the Italians that have settled here to enlist, train and employ (albeit at low pay) the Quechua people of the town. The place is beautiful, looking like a small alpine town somewhere in northern Italy. The snow cap mountains to the west and the construction of the houses make this a postcard perfect place. The one problem is that Chacas had no geocaches. Along with a family from our organization that lives and ministers there we remedied that problem. We headed out of town on a dirt road to the northwest to where my friend knew of a locaton that would be a good place to hide a cache. We pulled off the road near a set of stone steps going up into the woods. All along the right side of the dirt road was a deep valley running up to the snow melt. I just had to get a few pictures of the area. We climbed about 100 steps and arrived at a stone niche with flowers and artifacts of Roman Catholic worship. We started our search for a place to hide the cache. I'm used to paying several dollars to buy a decent tupperware type cache containers but while I was in nearby San Luis I found some containers in a street vendors stand. They only cost me .33 cents each. Amazing! San Luis is a small rather primitive town about 9 miles from Chacas as the crow flies but a good hour by the dirt roads. So, with containers in hand I was ready for the hide. With my friend and his two children we searched out a place to hide the cache. We know that a few tourist come this way. Caching has caught on in Italy too so between the Italians that come to work in the wood carving programs and tourist who might come through to see this community, there might just be a geocacher. At any rate, Chacas has it's very own geocache. Who'll go look for it?

4 comments:

Leonardo Amez said...

Hello how are you, I'm glad you liked Chacas, I'm from there and now we are promoting tourism, its territory has the trekking routes with the most beautiful views in Ancash, visit anytime, hosting services are improving.
Regards.
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chacas

Steve King said...

Leo, glad you are promoting tourism for Chacas. One way to possibly attract more tourist is to increase the number of geocaches in the area. Let me know if you are interested or have questions.

leo said...

Hello again, for I am not informed about geocaches, it would be of much help as you can tell us and advise on this method. thanks!

Steve King said...

Leo, I'm glad that you are interested in geocaching. If you visit website www.geocaching.com you'll get a good orientation. Anyone can play if the have a GPS receiver and Internet access. If you were to hide a series of geocaches in the Chacas area, post them, promote them on your own website as a geo-turismo opportunity, you might find some interest. I suggest that you go find a few geocaches first. Again, the geocaching.com website has maps of all the geocaches in Peru, particularly in your area. Let me know if you have further questions.