Earthcaches

I am a proud

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Some more unique caching experiences




My favorite caches are not LPCs. Not even close. My favorite caches are out in the woods and they are ammo cans or tupperware boxes all camo'd up and well-hidden. I also like virtuals that tell a story or bring you to a historical location. Several weeks ago I had the chance to hit the trails on Owl's Roost Mountian Bike Trail off of Lake Brandt north of Greensboro, NC. The day was beautiful and there was almost no one on the trail. I found a series of nice caches on a 5 mile trail. By the time I got back it was almost 9 miles. An interesting sign at the trailhead read that there has been a sighting of an agressive owl along the trail. Proceed with caution. The owl must have calmed down or moved on. I had no trouble. All of the caches were well-hidden, full of swag and several hadn't been visited for a while. I saw deer several times on the morning long trek.

A little later in the week I had the chance to visit the John Haley house in High Point. This one was a virtual cache, A Walk to the Past (GCF289). I lived near this house when I was in elementary school and remember visiting it then. Today there is a mueseum next door. It is worth visiting. Waymarking.com has an entry that I'll borrow and submit below. This will help explain it a little more:

There are 3 historic buildings on the site. Great place to spend the afternoon. HINT... Look on geocaching.com before you go... Maybe you will find some else! The Haley House, built in 1786 by John Haley, still stands as a witness of history alongside the Salisbury-Petersburg Road. This solid brick structure introduces the visitor to the lifestyles of a wealthy Quaker household. Hoggatt House Enter the Hoggatt House built in 1754. This log structure, once a family home, was moved to the museum's historic park and is now used to demonstrate colonial chores such as weaving and candle dipping. On a cold day the crackling fire will warm you as our costumed guides weave their tales of early country days. Blacksmith Shop Hear the clanging of a hammer as it strikes metal? Every other weekend our blacksmith demonstrates his skills carefully forming a hook or horseshoe for the interested traveler. Our visitors learn of days of old in these historic structures, but an entire museum awaits!

1 comment:

Erika Jean said...

Nice blog and nice photos!!