Earthcaches

I am a proud

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Thoughts on promoting Geocaching in Ecuador


It's time to get some input from those who check in from time to time to read this blog. If you set out to increase geocaching in a country where geocaching is little known, what would you do to promote it? Could you see geocaching as a means of increasing tourism? If you were approaching municipal leadership about geocaching and tourism, what would you emphasis? Is there a place for geocaching tourism or is geocaching something that geocachers do "as they tour"? I'd really love to hear your thoughts on what could be done with the local authorities and with the local citizenry as I consider how to increase the sport among Ecuadorians.

2 comments:

Erika Jean said...

I really think of geocaching as something to do "as you tour," unless of course you are headed for specific caches (HQ, Original Stash, Mingo)... but of course that is different for everyone. If I had the money I'd visit other countries for geocaching. There's an idea - Contest to win a trip there to go geocaching, government sponsored of course ;-)

Some sort of Mega event might put you on the map? Maybe get the Latitude 47 blog to feature one of Ecuador's caches as "cache of the week"?

I personally think I'd focus on making it as popular with the people there as you can (which I think is what you are more after, right?). Maybe hold some Cito events and not just advertise them through the geocaching site but as well as have the city or town you are doing it in support the clean-up effort. Hold a little Informational session about geocaching before or after the clean up - take the group to find a nearby cache...

Maybe there are some classrooms you could visit and explain satellites longitude, latitude and the GPS to.

Maybe there is a City or organization willing to donate GPS devices that you could take with you and loan to people at events/informational talks. I think the Geomate Jr. would be a good device! something simple. Maybe even that company would be willing to donate or give some kind of discount.

....that's all I got!

Steve King said...

Erika,
Thanks so much for the suggestions. Yes, we want to get geocaching moving among locals as well as with tourist. I like the CITO idea a lot. I hope some other bright minds jump in with ideas. I'm trying to build a list of ideas to implement. Again, thanks. If you think of anything else I'd welcome your thoughts.
sumajman