Earthcaches

I am a proud

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Unique caches found along the way





This blog has spoilers for the Greensboro/High Point NC area. I love being in the US and having a cache-rich environment. With this comes the many LPCs, which don't take much to find, just the effort to walk across a parking lot. While these tend to get old there are on ocassion some unique caches worth highlighting. I left home around 7 a.m. when my wife heads out running. On this particular day I headed down Highway 68 and then hit part of the greenway along the east fork of Deep River. The greenway runs along that fork of the river, an area where I hiked and played when I was growing up. Just 1/5th of a mile from the beginning of the greenway I found a surprising cache. I found a paved turn off at a stoplight. The turn off was a deadend within a few feet of the stoplight. I guess they are planning on putting something in the large field soon. I parked and head out tracking to ground zero. As I headed across the field I was surprised that the GZ wasn't going to be at the treeline where a creek ran but right in the middle of an open field. When I got to within 50 feet I saw the cache. It is represented in the photo. The hint on this one said that you might need a rabies shot after signing the cache. There was no paper log. At first I thought that it had been muggled. In fact the inside of the wolf's plastic body was starting to fill with signatures. Around the wolf, which was facing folks walking up from the turn off and showing its teeth, were several fake rabbit carcuses. I signed, got a picture and headed on my way. I really appreciate this cache owner's effort to provide a unique, interesting geocache. Another interesting cache starts out as a rant. You are encouraged to sign a petition at the location of the cache to give attention to Wilbur. The cache itself isn't all that unusual or challenging. I appreciated the theme for the cache. I signed the petition as I think Wilbur ought to get his far share of recognition too! And finally I went to a cache and was surprised to see that it required some extra effort I had not anticipated. I suffer a little bit of claustrophobia so I decided to recruit some more geocachers to help me. On Saturday morning my wife and the other couple (chanak80 and chickenlvr413) joined me at the GZ. We found the underground entry and off we went. I should say that chickenlvr413 and I went in for the find. The others stayed topside. The walk required us to be hunched over but the space was ample for walking. We had our headlamps on. The walk was about 400 yards by my estimate because the gpsr doesn't work underground. We found the cache and were out within 8 minutes. This is how you hide an ammo can of any size in an urban setting with a small likelihood that it will be muggled. Now my wife calls me a sewer rat. I had fun!

No comments: