Earthcaches

I am a proud

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Alamanace Battleground, North Carolina

Alamance Battle Monument
Canon
Today I went to a special event. It was the 243th anniversary of the battle of Alamance. Here the forces of the British colonial government engaged in battle the of local farmers in what is called the Regulator rebellion. In 1771, just a few years before the Revolution began, the first shots for independence were fired here in this battle involving about 3000 men. The British forces won. Yet, many of those who fought on the British colonial side would join the American revolutionary forces six years later.

Today hundreds of school children from all over the county were here for reenactments and demonstrations in colonial handcrafts.

There was one cache just off the state property. It is called Just Hanging Around #8 (GCMECZ). it was located in a tree near parked school buses. I know the drivers were wondering  what I was looking for. I finally found the cache and was on my way.

The Battleground

One of the executed Regulators

50th Anniversary cache/cake

Wedding Chapel

Alamance Monument
Driving back to High Point through the country I found more caches. My favorite was 50th Wedding Anniversary (GC4AGMX). It was hidden pretty open and in view behind the wedding chapel. I couldn't have asked for a better day off weather-wise.

No comments: