Earthcaches

I am a proud

Monday, November 18, 2013

The Quaker side of the lake

The Quaker side of the Lake
My work schedule allows me some flexibility. I worked some long hours this week so I was able to take off early today. I plotted out a few caches on the way home via a workout at the YMCA. The weather was a crisp cool typical of fall and the sun was low in the western sky when I began to explore the south side of the lake. I call it the "Quaker side" because the site of my caching was close to the home of early founder of Jamestown, NC, Richard Mendenhall. This historical site is populated with both brick and wood structures from early Quaker farming days. In those days there was no lake here. The lake is the result of a dam backing up both the west and east forks of Deep River. I was raised on the east fork of Deep River and these were my old stomping grounds. I pulled into the park across from the Mendenhall Plantation and found a parking spot. The sign said I had about half an hour to get in and out. I took off following the needle of my GPSr to Providence Viaduct Bridge (GC4HB6R). The walk was
The dam
pleasant through the fallen leaves. As I approached the dam that holds back Deep River I spotted the likely spot where the cache would be. I nailed it. There was no one around so I had no trouble getting the cache, signing it and replacing it. There are many caches around the lake, particularly on the west side of the lake. Be sure to check out Castor Canadensis (GC3C6XC) and Sciurus Carolinensis (GC3C6X1), two Quaker side caches well-hidden along the lake's edge. These two promote the North American Beaver and the Eastern Gray Squirrel, both of which live along the lake. While you see the squirrel, more frequently we come across the work of beavers and not the beavers themselves.

Quaker Meeting House

        As I walked back to the car I detoured into another section of the park to look at an old Quaker building. I was surprised that it is a church, or more likely a Quaker meeting place. It is over 190 years old. The beautiful brick structure looked like a house from the outside. Another blog entry about the Mendenhall Plantation is in order later.

As the sun was setting to the west the lake looked so peaceful. Geese and other water fowl were the only movement on the lake. I took a few
pictures of the fall leaves and the lake before heading on home. Our area has lots of Quaker history. There are several Friends Meeting Places spread across the area. My 5th great grandfather was married in one such community about 8 miles north of this site back in 1754. There's nothing like mixing history and geocaching and the beauty of the great outdoors in the fall!

No comments: