Earthcaches

I am a proud

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Idaho - where I first learned of geocaching




Allow me to digress. Back in 2007 I had the opportunity to spend a few weeks in the panhandle of Idaho for some survival training. What a beautiful place. During the training we were prepared for an escape and evasion exercise. The trainer was familiarizing us with how to utilize a GPS receiver. I owned one and was familiar but some of the guys weren't. Somehow they planned on us utilizing them in our E and E. At the end of the training exercise on how to use the GPSr the trainer told us he'd hidden several tupperware boxes in the woods and we were to find them. He gave us four or five sets of coordinates and off we went. At first I thought it was kind of lame. We found the boxes and they had pine cones and twigs inside. Later he told us there was a sport designed around a similar hunt. He gave me the website and as soon as I was able to connect I checked it out. I saw that there was one on the Pichincha mountain overlooking Quito. I decided then and there that I would go looking for it when I got back. I did and I was hooked from then on. Thanks Idaho for the lesson in geocaching.

No comments: